Best Practices – The 4x VIN Check
The “Let’s Talk” Series is designed to help recyclers understand defective Takata Airbag Recalls and make good business decisions.
Are You Selling Airbags to Customers? No worries but let’s be clear on one thing; it is Illegal to sell parts that are Recalled. The 4X VIN Check provides the necessary best practices to protect your business. Fines begin at $21K per violation and cap at $105M. Recalled airbags have zero parts value so why not remove them and get paid to do it?
What are the best practices for Recalls and airbags in particular?
Let’s call this the 4X VIN Check Process:
1. Incoming Inventory Vehicles – Upon entering the VIN to create the motor vehicle record in your Yard Management System, run a VIN Check. Why wait? Remove buy back airbags at this time.
2. Vehicles brought in for dismantling – VIN’s are added so run a VIN Check prior to dismantle.
3. Point of Sale – prior to any air bag being sold (inventory or brokered), run a VIN Check. Have your Parts Sales Representatives print the sheet that shows 0 Recalls and attach to the customer invoice.
a. Suggestion: scan the invoice and the Recall print out and save to your YMS for future reference.
4. Crush – prior to crushing, run a VIN Check one last time and remove any buyback airbags.
1. rascorepro.com (select Search Recalls at top of screen)
2. Hollander Monthly Email Blasts – specific to your yard inventory on Eden
3. Inventory Buddy – recalled airbag notification at time of inventory
4. URG NHTSA Recall Hot Key – works with all yard management systems
•All shipping and packing materials are paid for. Zero out-of-pocket expense
•Participating in the airbag buyback program provides tracking and destruction of these dangerous parts.
•Buyback airbag removal is time effective and profitable. Easier than converters or aluminum wheels.
•Create monthly cash flow! $55 drivers $60 passenger. Checks are mailed within 28 days of check-in.
Katie the “Recall Gal” and Paul the “Recall Guy” represent the RAS Recall Team. Their Mission is to rid the planet of defective Airbags.
Want to join the Mission?
Call our Recall Team 877-829-1553 x 160