You may ask yourself:
“Times are tough. Why should I spend my hard-earned money on association dues?”
I can tell you a lot of reasons, but today I’ll just give you my TOP FIVE:
- Lobbyists: How many of you can afford to send someone to your state legislature or Washington D.C. to lobby on your behalf?
- Build Sheet Data from the OEs: Anyone think that GM or Mitsubishi is going to hand your yard that information just because you ask nicely?
- Recalls: I would love for all of you to have the information about which recalled parts have been replaced and which ones are truly on recall.
- Training, Training, and More Training! ARA has training classes. Every state and national trade show I have ever been to has offered some type of training or classes for yard owners, managers, and employees.
- Because I Said So! No, really! Have I ever steered you wrong? It’s the right thing to do! The associations work on your behalf all year! Take the time to sign up, send in your dues, and if you feel you can, volunteer to help with ARA or your state association. Not only is it rewarding, the work they do directly impacts your business.
As always, have a great month! Email me at TheresaC@Car-Part.com, text or call me at 859-802-2382 if you have any comments, questions, or need help signing up for ARA or any other association in your area.
Theresa Colbert is a public speaker who goes to state association meetings, at no charge, to give classes on cores, brokering and much more. She offers on-site support to salvage yards in many areas and has been an on-the-ground representative for Car-Part.com for five years. Prior, she worked at Nu-Parts Automotive Products for 10 years, was a manager at Winter Auto Japanese Engines in Glendale, Arizona, and at AAA Economy Auto Parts in Phoenix, Arizona. With 23 years of industry experience, Theresa has seen the auto recycling world from almost every point of view. When she is at home, she loves to spend time with her family, play with her dogs, cook and watch football.